Sunday 7 March 2010

Doodling



I found the large blank sheet daunting and found it difficult to get going on this exercise.  I found myself wanting to follow rules and develop thought-out ideas and struggled to allow my mind to wander freely.  Once I had filled up some space I felt the pressure lift and was able to 'let go' more.  I particularly liked the graphite pencils and the way they flowed over the paper.  I was not so keen on the thicker drawing pen as I  found it too bold and precise.  I loved the fine drawing pen and how it created loose strokes and allowed me to add detail and create more dimension.  Interestingly, I didn't like the felt-tips on their own as they appeared too flat, but felt they were improved with the fine line detail.  I enjoyed using the charcoal as I think it can be very forgiving, although I need to get my head around the smudging!

Overall, I found the exercise more difficult than I had anticipated but I think that is because doodling is a sub-concious activity which I often do whilst on the phone, or thinking about other things.   Structured doodling suggests more thought involved than is actually necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment