Sunday 7 March 2010

More Doodling & Mark-Marking


I decided to attempt doodling within a smaller area and the first box shows the results using a thick drawing pen.  I enjoyed the exercise and was pleased with the results, as l was able to put less thought into it.  I then decided to combine the doodling with specific marks and see what happened.  Because I was limiting myself to a specific type of material and mark, I felt able to be more free with it.  I liked the designs that came out of all 3 examples.

Example 1 - I used a Derwent Graphitint Pencil for this hatching style.  By applying the hatching randomly I enjoyed seeing the designs that emerged.  I found this illustration by Brian Gallagher in the March edition of Artists & Illustrators which I think displays how this technique can be used to great effect.


Example 2 - I used a Fine Drawing Pen and circular shapes for this example.  I began by creating swirls that were quite laboured and quickly found a looser style which I really enjoyed.  I found myself creating  circular shapes as well as ovals with the start point either centres or off-centred.  The image reminds me of fish eyes and I think this would be extremely effective in colour.


Example 3 - I used the Charcoal Pencil and a random wobby zig-zag approach.  I started on quite a linear approach but soon moved on to a more random placing of the marks.  I liked the effects which reminded me of wood grain and the charcoal worked well providing a variety of soft tones and darker marks.

In all examples I changed how I held the materials and noticed how you can create pleasing and more free effects when you hold the materials more loosely.  Likewise for more detailed areas you can achieve quite precise effects when you hold the materials firmly and with more precision.  Obviously, this precision is more difficult to achieve if you are working with larger materials ie pastels.  I think this is why I enjoyed working with the charcoal in pencil form.

No comments:

Post a Comment