Sunday 7 March 2010

Mark-making Techniques































Immediately I preferred the structure of this exercise compared to the doodling.  I found working in smaller boxes less intimidating and worked through the exercise quite quickly.  I noticed the different textures of the materials and could identify when certain materials could create more desirable effects.

My notes of the different materials;
  • Pencil - very forgiving, you are able to control the marks you make depending on the pressure you apply
  • Drawing Pen - definitely my favourite I love the looseness of it when you hold it lightly as well as it's ability to define and add texture
  • Felt Pen - I love the way it flows but find it clumsy to work with
  • Wax Crayon - I liked the feel of the crayon and liked the effects, but find it difficult to add detail
  • Pastel - difficult to control where you make the marks but a nice feeling of texture.  Difficult to create definition and can look 'muddy'
  • Charcoal Pencil - the pencil enabled me to control the marks which I liked and the versatility of both soft tones and detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment